Thursday 27 May 2010

just open the gate to search for the hidden treasures just beyond my garden

Right on our doorstep, literally, is a magnificent common and at this time of the year it displays so many of nature's gems, so beautiful, I just had to share them with you.

Lousewort only found on acidic grassland

lousewort and Tormentil another acid loving plant


Common Valerian


Sorrel

bracken unfurling

first Ragged Robin

Lady's Smock or Cuckoo Flower

Hawthorn

Small Copper butterfly

Small Copper on Common Valerian
I hope I have identified all of these correctly, I am not an expert on wild flowers.

    The following morning the common was shrouded in mist which provided a spectacularly eerie display of the cobwebs but I shall leave them for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos. I found a ladysmock in the garden last year and this year they are springing up all over the place. Good old nature.

    ReplyDelete